That everyone who thirsteth for the truth may obtain it, these publications are, as a Christian service, provided without charge. They levy but one exaction: the soul's obligation to itself to prove all things and hold fast to that which is good. The only strings attached to this free proffer are the golden strands of Eden and the crimson cords of Calvary - the ties that bind.
|Vol. 2||No. 10|
"And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse,
and a Branch shall grow out of his roots. Isa. 11:1"
|Lesson 39||PART V --- THE FAMILY TREE -- Isaiah 11:1||1-6-1968|
MEMORY VERSE: "I Jesus (The Branch) have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the off-spring of David, and the bright and morning star." Rev. 22:16.
STUDY HELP: Branch Lesson No. 6, May 21, l958 (attached to last month's lessons).
STUDY AIM: To understand the prophecies which have been revealed by Inspiration dealing with the third step in the family tree – the Branch.
INTRODUCTION: "Consider the fact that Isa. 11:1 was proclaimed some three hundred years after David had become king of Israel, and yet Isaiah places the entire prophecy in the future from his time...Therefore, Isaiah must have been referring to these three persons in antitype, pointing out God's true people of today. 'Since...Christ ('Immanuel') did not live in the time of such a confederacy (of Isaiah chapters 12-14), it must be that...Christ Himself is also a type...' 12 Symbolic Code, Vol. 1:5, 6." The Man On The White Horse, p. 50:2.
1. Out of what part of the tree do we find the Branch growing? Isa. 11:1; Branch Lesson #6, p. 2, 4.
2. For what purpose does the Branch grow up? Isa. 11:1-10; Branch Lesson #6, p. 4.
3. Which angel brings this message of the Judgment of the Living? Rev. 18:1; Branch Lesson #6, p. 4.
4. Which message will be repeated by this angel of Rev. 18:1? T.M. 59.
NOTE --- "The second angel's message was to go to Babylon (the churches) proclaiming her downfall and calling the people to come out of her. This same message is be proclaimed the second time 'And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power and the earth was lightened with his glory'." T.M. 59.
5. How does Zechariah symbolize the coming of this angel? Zech. 1:8, 11, 12.
6. Who is seen holding the reins in the chart in Tract 6, p. 61? Branch Sabbath School Lesson, Vol. 2, #8.
NOTE --- The Man riding the red horse is variously termed, a Man in verse 10; an Angel in verse 11 and the Lord in verse 13. See Branch Lesson #5, p. 2.
7. How is the Lord illustrated in the family tree? Isa. 11:1.
NOTE --- "...according to Isaiah 11:1 to 5, the Branch is the Lord, the Son of David." 1 T.G.r. 8:24:4.
8. The Rod movement not having the reins (see chart Tract 6:61, also Symbolic Code, Oct.–Dec. 1938) proves what significant point? Branch Lesson #6, p. 4.
9. When will the reins be taken in hand by the Lord? T.M. 300.
NOTE --- "...when the work goes forward under the direction of the angel who joins the third angel in the message to be given to the world. God will use ways and means by which it will be seen that He is taking the reins in His own hands." T.M. 300.
10. How does the Lord (The Branch) take the reins – rule? Branch Lesson #6, p. 4.
NOTE --- "...shortly before His return, Christ shall inform His 'citizens' that He is taking 'the reins in His own hands' to set up His kingdom, and that they, upon hearing the announcement, shall refuse to submit themselves to the one through whom He is to rule...his servants did not say, 'We will not have You to reign over us,' but rather, 'we will not have this man to reign over us.' What they objected to was Christ's reigning over them through someone else. Clearly, then, before He is coronated, and prior to His return to reckon with His servants, He appoints a 'man' to reign over them in His stead...'this man', as we now see, is the antitypical David (the 'simple means'), the visible king." 8 Tract 71:1, 2.
"Obviously,...another church emerges of which Joshua is in charge, not the angel of Laodicea." 1 T.G.r. 8:24:3. "Joshua is Heaven's appointed judge, ruler." Id. p. 26:5.
|Lesson 40||PART VI --- THE FAMILY TREE -- Isaiah 11:1||1-13-1968|
MEMORY VERSE: "And by a prophet the Lord brought Israel out of Egypt, and by a prophet was he preserved." Hosea 12:13.
STUDY HELP: Branch Lesson No. 6, May 21, 1958.
STUDY AIM: To see the way the Lord works, especially in the time of the Judgment for the Living, when the Branch takes hold of the reins and directs the work Himself.
INTRODUCTION: "…since the message of the Judgment for the Living is of far greater importance than the message of the Judgment for the Dead, it is but expected that the Bible will have more to say about the latter than the former." S.R. Jezreel Letter 2:1:5.
1. What do angels represent in Bible prophecy? Branch Lesson #6, p. 4.
NOTE --- "... all five of the angels brought to view in this chapter (Revelation 14), represent five distinct messages,..." Word to the Little Flock, p.11.
2. How did the Lord work to announce the Judgment of the Dead? Branch Lesson #6, p. 4.
3. How many messengers did He use to give the Judgment of the Dead message? Id., p. 4.
4. Was the same principle used to announce the Judgment of the Living? Branch Lesson #6, p. 4.
NOTE --- "…in 1929, the Lord" sent "the message through the Sabbath School quarterlies to prepare the Church for the Kingdom and lead her out of Egypt. A Sabbath School teacher, Bro. V.T. Houteff, was given an understanding of the message..." 11th Hour Extra – Riddle #1:4:3. "...the Judgment of the Living, the announcement of which is already here." S.R. Jezreel Letter #4:2:1 (by V.T. Houteff).
5. In view of this what should we remember?
Answer --- "In every age there is a new development of truth, a message of God to the people of that generation. The old truths are all essential; new truth is not independent of the old, but an unfolding of it. It is only as the old truths are understood that we can comprehend the new." Christ Object Lessons, 127:4.
6. Will there be a message for the Judgment of the Living proclaimed?
Answer --- "...since there was a special message for the Judgment concerning the Dead, it is even more important that there should be a special message concerning the judgment for the Living." S.R. Jezreel Letter #4, p. 2:1. See also introduction.
7. In what way will this message come?
Answer --- "How will we get the message of the Judgment for the Living? – The answer is clear to all: We will get it in the same way we got the one in 1844 (through God's prophet – one messenger – Sr. White)." S.R. Jezreel Letter #2, p. 1:5, 6. (paren. added)
8. Who then is it that brings the message of the Judgment of the Living? Branch Lesson #6, p. 4.
9. What claim does the Branch make in regard to the Man on the red horse? Id., p. 4, 5.
10. What are those who try to propose any other interpretation of the symbols other than the one given through Inspiration by the Branch? Branch Lesson #6, p. 5.
NOTE --- "A plant that comes up from the roots while the tree is green and is being watered (by Inspiration) is nothing but a sucker (false) and will be cut down in the purging…" The Healing of the Nations, p. 10.
"...clouds they are without water, carried about by winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;" Jude 1:12.
11. What fact becomes a challenge to S.D.A.'s and Davidians? Branch Lesson #6, p. 5; Isa. 8:14.
|Lesson 41||PART VII --- THE FAMILY TREE -- Isaiah 11:1||1-20-1968|
MEMORY VERSE: "Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:" Matt. 24:32.
STUDY HELP: Branch Lesson No. 6, May 21, 1958.
STUDY AIM: To see how Ezekiel chapters 17 and 19, which we have used to show the first two parts of the family tree, also brings to light the work and triumph of the Branch (Christ) and the growth of the Kingdom.
INTRODUCTION: "These two messages – the Sabbath and Sanctuary truth and the New Jerusalem or kingdom message – only give us the knowledge of two sealing truths. The full and complete sealing truth is taught by the threefold. Since both of His former servants are in the grave, it becomes evident that for His people to have the knowledge of the third sealing truth (the truth of His new name) there must necessarily be the third inspired message through which God reveals the third sealing truth." The Stone, p. 4:5.
1. What did the cropping the top off the cedar by the first eagle represent? Eze. 17:3, 4; Branch Lesson #6, p. 2.
2. Did the second eagle do any harvesting? Eze. 17:7-10.
3. When did the watering (rain – latter rain) cease? Amos 4:7; Branch Lesson #6, p. 3.
4. What happened after the rain stopped? Eze. 17:10.
5. What caused the withering and what does it represent? Eze. 17:10; 19:12; Hos. 13:15.
NOTE --- "When the...latter rain (Joel 2:23) ceased with the death of V.T. Houteff,...D.S.D.A. became dry (withered),…without Inspiration -- the 'Living Spirit of Prophecy'." The Man On The White Horse, p. 53:3.
6. What are we to know when we see the tender branch? Matt. 24:32, 33.
7. Where in Ezekiel 17 is pictured the harvest to be done for the living? See verse 22.
8. Who is it that is to do this work ? Eze. 17:22; Rev. 14:14, 16.
NOTE --- "In verse 3 the first great eagle came to start the Harvest – Judgment of the Dead. Verse 7 tells how the second great eagle came to water the field (church), but in verse 22 the Lord did not send an eagle to harvest the 144,000 – first fruits of the Living, Rev. 14:4; but is doing the harvesting HIMSELF!..." J.H. Jezreel Letter #1, p. 7:1. "Rev. 14:14-19...Here we are...told that there are two reapings (during the harvest – judgment for the living): one by the Son of Man, and another by an angel. The reaping by the Son of Man precedes the reaping by the angel. 'The Son of Man,' therefore, gathers the first-fruits, and the angel gathers the second fruits." 2 T.G. 44:37 (paren. added). See also 2 T.G. 14:18.
9. What was to be done with the tender branch when it was harvested? Eze. 17:23.
10. What are all the trees going to know has happened? Eze. 17:24; Branch Lesson #6, p. 5.
11. Where do we find the strong rods now? Eze. 19:13.
NOTE --- "'…her strong rods (Davidian leaders) were broken and withered;' 'And now she (the Davidian movement...), and her Council is planted in the wilderness (land of the Gentiles, away from the vineyard –- the promised land. See 2 T.G. 16:18; 18:16:3), in a dry and thirsty ground.' Eze. 19:13." The Man On The White Horse, p. 54:2.
12. What is meant by verse 14 of Ezekiel 19?
Answer --- "'…fire (a Spirit-filled message) is gone out of a rod (a Davidian ruler -- Hebrew word for ruler is roden) of her branches, which hath devoured her fruit.' Eze. 19:14. The Davidian messenger, V.T. Houteff, predicted this when he wrote: 'Who is to bring this revival and reformation, this great change? -- The BRANCH...' 1 T.G.r. 8:24:3." The Man On The White Horse, p. 54:3.
13. How does the Branch devour the fruit of the previous message? John 4:34-38; Amos 9:13-15; Eze. 17:22, 23.
14. What will be the result? Prov. 11:28; Isa. 4:2; Eze. 34:20-31.
|Lesson 42||PART VIII --- THE FAMILY TREE -- Isaiah 11:1||1-27-1968|
MEMORY VERSE: "In that day shall the branch of the LORD be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and comely for them that are escaped of Israel." Isa. 4:2.
STUDY HELP: Branch Lesson No. 6, May 21, 1958; The Healing of the Nations.
STUDY AIM: To summarize our study of the family tree of Isaiah 11:1 and to review how each part of the tree symbolizes the three parts of the great Advent Movement.
INTRODUCTION: "The symbolism...depicts the three great divisions of the genuine S.D.A. movement, all climaxing in the Third, by the revelation of Christ's new name...This movement is to climax in the revelation to the world that Christ, the hope of glory, has come in the flesh. (Saviours – Obadiah 1:21)." Branch Lesson #6, p. 6.
1. How many persons were brought to view in Isa. 11:1?
NOTE --- "A quick look at this prophecy shows us that there are three persons brought to view: Jesse was the father of King David (Ruth 4:22). Since the rod came from Jesse, it must be symbolic of David, Jesse's son. The BRANCH coming from David would symbolize Christ, the Son of David, (Matt. 21:9) – the Son of God (Matt. 1:23)." The Healing of the Nations, p. 3:2.
2. The fact that this is a prophecy shows what important point? Branch Lesson #6, p. 1.
NOTE --- "This prophecy was written by Isaiah the Gospel Prophet, some three hundred years or more after David's time and yet it is written in future tense – 'there shall come forth a rod'." The Healing of the Nations, p. 3:3. This text goes beyond just predicting the Messiah's first Advent and points out God's True Israel of today in three steps culminating in the Messiah's coming in our time in the message bearing His new name.
3. Who was represented by Jesse? Branch Lesson #6, p. 13.
4. What happened to the tree that began to grow from the roots?
Answer --- "...a stem (stump)...This shows that there was a tree which had been cut down…To make the application in our time: the stem of Jesse represents the S.D.A. church after losing the Spirit of Prophecy, the living voice – Mrs. E.G. White." The Healing of the Nations, p. 7:4, 5.
5. What grew out of the stem (stump) of Jesse? Branch Lesson #6, p. 1, 3.
6. What became of this rod? Amos 4:7; 1:2; Eze. 17:10; 19:5-13.
7. What message was to come after the rod? Branch Lesson #6. p. 2, 4-6.
8. When are we to look for the fulfillment of Isa. 11:10? 1 T.G.r. 31:5:2.
NOTE --- "That is, in the day of the Branch (in the Christian period), in the day this family tree is completed, then it is that the kingdom of peace (the church purified) sprouts, so to speak, from the ground up...Plainly then, this old family tree, Kingdom, is to be set up while probation lasts." 1 T.G.r. 31:5:2.
9. What should we have learned from the study of these lessons? Branch Lesson #6, p. 6.
NOTE --- We have seen pictured in Isa. 11:1, ONE TREE having three parts: Roots, Rod and Branch. This tree covers the history of God's people during the time of the Investigative Judgment which is in TWO PHASES – first for the Dead and secondly for the Living (Great Controversy 490; S.R. Jezreel Letter #4:1). This tree shows the THREE steps (E.W. 258, 259), divisions (Life Incidents, p. 306, 307) and periods (1 S.R. 32) of the great Advent Church composed of these FOUR MOVEMENTS: F.D.A., S.D.A., D.S.D.A. and B.D.S.D.A.. These movements as we know resulted from the preaching of the FIVE ANGEL'S MESSAGES found in Revelation 14. (Word to the Little Flock, p. 10, 11).
Passover/Feast of Unleavened Bread this year is to be celebrated from April 13 through April 20. This corresponds to the time when Paul kept the Passover for 8 days at Philippi (Acts 20:6; Acts of the Apostles, p. 390, 391). Preparations are underway to have accommodations ready for all those who wish to come and keep the Feast here at New Mt. Carmel. If you have not yet made your reservations, please send them to the office as soon as possible.
It has been learned that this year the World's Fair is to be held at San Antonio, Texas and will be in progress during the month of April. Plans are being made to take the school children and their parents to see the Fair during the festal period as part of their educational program. This should be quite an attraction, and we are hoping there will be many who will come to New Mt. Carmel and keep this Feast with us and join the school in this excursion.
Work as always is going on at New Mt. Carmel and this month has seen the beginning of a new program of repairing and beautification. Trucks have been coming and going at the Center, bringing their loads for the regravelling of the roads. Repairs are being made to the large tabernacle. New roofing and supporting timbers are being added to restore this building so that it can be used. Preparations for the Spring garden are also being made and we would invite all to take an interest and a hand in this important arm of the Branch work. The school children here at New Mt. Carmel are being trained in agriculture for Sr. White tells us it is the ABC of Education (6 Testimonies 179), and it is requested that all believers in the field should do what they can in learning and practicing the principles of health reform, beginning from the ground up. (1 T.G.r. 31:5:2.)